Never Forget 9/11 & Visiting the Dentist

“Just Thinking"
I was at the dentist yesterday, and it was a bit of a milestone. He is my new dentist, the first new one I've had in probably 15 years. Come to think of it, I believe he's only the fourth dentist I've ever had.
When we were kids, we went to Dr. Johnson. He was a mean old bastard who used to yell at my sisters when they cried. After that, I moved on to Dr. Krammer in San Bruno. He had a great office, and I stayed with him for years, even after I moved to the East Bay.
Eventually, I bounced around a bit before landing with Dr. Steve, a great guy whose office was in a beautiful old Victorian in Pacheco. Unfortunately, the building burned down earlier this year, forcing him to close the practice.
That led me to my newest dentist. Uncle Abe referred me to Dr. Connor, who seems like someone I'll be able to stick with for quite a while. As it turns out, he's a young guy that graduated from Alhambra High School a year ahead of Chris and Kylee.
While sitting in the waiting room at the dentist yesterday, my mind started to wander. I was thinking about this week's newsletter and what direction it might take. One thing I am always grateful for is the feedback I receive from readers. Last week's newsletter featured iconic movie lines, and several people reached out with great additions that absolutely deserve a mention.
Trace, who is always good for a response to my newsletter, suggested a memorable line from Apocalypse Now “I love the smell of napalm in the morning’. Tony chimed in with a favorite from Vision Quest "Hey Louden, kick his ass". Jimmy contributed a classic Charles Bronson line from The Great Escape, “I dig because I must get out”.
A conversation with my sister Carolyn brought back a few more unforgettable gems. We laughed about the paperboy from Better Off Dead "give me my two dollars." Uncle Buck "Take this quarter, go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face! Good day to you, madam."
That led us to Stripes, and its classic quotes, like "Lighten up, Francis" and some of Bill Murray's one-liners. "You know what the rest of your problem is? You've never had anybody give you the Aunt Jemima treatment." and "Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something unusual." Then there are the Animal House, lines "Fat, drunk, and stupid are no way to go through life, son.", “Otis, my man”, “Do you mind if we dance with your dates”, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" and "Toga! Toga!".
I received several responses to my newsletter about the "Rule of Three," including notes from readers who had recently endured losses that earned them membership in that unfortunate club. Their stories served as a reminder that it is often considered a superstition, the losses behind it are very real.
Roc also pointed out an inexcusable oversight in that week's article regarding Tim Curry. While I mentioned several of his memorable roles, I somehow failed to include his performance as the whinny and perpetually exasperated Russian ship's doctor in The Hunt for Red October.
Then there was my article about being a native San Franciscan who has somehow never made it to Alcatraz. As it turns out, I am far from alone. Several fellow natives admitted that they, too, have never set foot on the island despite living in the Bay Area their entire lives. The overwhelming consensus was that Alcatraz should be on my bucket list. Whether or not I finally make the trip remains to be seen, but at least I know I'm not the only lifelong Bay Area resident who has yet to take the ferry ride.
Finally, a non-related thought, we’re heading to Tahoe tomorrow, taking Highway 50 up to the South Shore. Every time I make that drive, I find myself thinking about what the trip must have been like back in the 50s and 60s, when much of the route was still just a two-lane highway. Imagine loading up the family sedan, throwing on a set of tire chains, and heading into the Sierra with nothing more than rear-wheel drive, a paper map, no GPS and no cell phones. Yikes, what a journey that must have been.
Let me know what you think.
Confused about the Real Estate market?
If You Don’t Know – “Just Ask Chuck”
@ChuckBarberini #ChuckBarberiniRealEstate
@ChuckBarberiniRE #JustAskChuck
https://dot.cards/chuckbarberini
#MartinezRealEstate
Follow my Blog
https://ChuckBarberini.org
Comments
Post a Comment