Movie Notes and Quotes


 “Just Thinking"

I was sitting around the other day thinking about how big the generational divide has become when it comes to movie lines that have worked their way into our everyday language. I was watching a Giants game the other night (I know – I know). A new Braves pitcher came in, and he threw a pitch that sailed on him, Dave Flemming immediately said, "Just a bit outside," and Hunter Pence followed it up with, "Too bad there wasn't a bull to hit." Without thinking I knew that they were riffing on Bull Durham, when Nuke LaLoosh uncorks a wild pitch and drills the giant bull mascot in the stands. Most people from my generation would also get the reference, we grew up quoting movies. But I'm willing to bet the kids of Gen X, Y or Z had absolutely no clue what Flemm and Pence were talking about.

Unless, of course, they were lucky enough to have a cool-ass dad, you know the type, the dad that is a wealth of useless information, random movie trivia, lines from films made before you were born, who sings this golden oldie and who is always willing to share every bit of it. Forget Dad jokes. Let's do movie lines.

I'm going to roll out my list, it's subjective, it's personal and it will probably change tomorrow. But these are some of the movie quotes that have become part of everyday American conversation. They're lines people repeat all the time, often without ever having seen the movie:

·       "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" - Gone with the Wind

·       "Here's looking at you, kid" - Casablanca

·       "May the Force be with you" - Star Wars

·       "Luke, I am your father” - The Empire Strikes Back

·       "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse” - The Godfather

·       "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" - The Godfather

·       "You talkin' to me?" - Taxi Driver

·       "Go ahead, make my day." - Sudden Impact

·       "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?" - Dirty Harry

·       "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy" - The Outlaw Josey Wales

·       “Well, it looks like I've met someone that likes to play as rough as I do” - Streets of Fire

·       "Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true" - Point Break 

·       "Houston, we have a problem" - Apollo 13

·       "Show me the money!" - Jerry Maguire

·       "I'll be back" - The Terminator

·       "We're burnin' daylight" - The Cowboys

·       "Nobody puts Baby in a corner" - Dirty Dancing

·       "Yippee-ki-yay Mother F’er" - Die Hard

·       "I feel the need... the need for speed" - Top Gun

·       "Say hello to my little friend!" - Scarface

·       "Keep the change, ya filthy animal!" - Home Alone

·       "You're gonna need a bigger boat" - Jaws

Moonstuck

·       "Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I'm gonna kick you 'til you're dead!"

·       "Do you love him, Loretta?" "Ma, I love him awful." "Oh, God, that's too bad."

·       "Snap out of it!"

·       "No matter what you do, you're gonna die, just like everybody else."

A Forrest Gump Three-peat:

·       "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

·       "That's all I have to say about that."

·       “So I went to the White House, Again.”

For Our Baseball Fans:

·       "If you build it, he will come." - Field of Dreams

·       "Hey, Dad, you wanna have a catch?" - Field of Dreams

·       "You're killin' me, Smalls!" - The Sandlot

·       “There’s no crying in Baseball” - A League of Their Own

·       "This is a simple game. You throw the ball. You catch the ball. You hit the ball." – Bull Durham

·       "Candlesticks always make a nice gift." – Bull Durham

·       "Pick me out a winner, Bobby." – The Natural

·       "You know, I believe we have two lives. The life we learn with and the life we live with after that." – The Natural

A Special Section For The Duffers – Caddyshack and a Happy Gilmore

·       "So, I got that going for me, which is nice. Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now about to become the Masters champion."

·       "It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"

·       "Be the ball."

·       "The world needs ditch diggers, too."

·       "You'll get nothing and like it!"

·       "Hey everybody, we're all gonna get laid!"

·       "This steak still has marks where the jockey was hitting it."

·       "I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while."

·       "Just tap it in. Just tap it in. Give it a little tappy. Tap, tap, taparoo." – Thanks Chubs

That's a wrap. Now it's your turn, and I'm wide open to hearing the memorable lines, quotes, and gems you've got tucked away.

Let me know what you think.

 

 

Confused about the Real Estate market?

If You Don’t Know – “Just Ask Chuck”

@ChuckBarberini   #ChuckBarberiniRealEstate 

@ChuckBarberiniRE #JustAskChuck

https://dot.cards/chuckbarberini

#MartinezRealEstate

 

Follow my Blog

https://ChuckBarberini.org

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sightline into San Francisco

Is Price the New Location?